Pages

8.27.2010

The Dress Search

I finally won something!!!  I entered to win free tickets to the Brides Against Cancer gown sale through the Green Bride Guide.com and I actually won!

The Green Bride Guide is a resource I found while looking for ideas on how to make weddings more environmentally friendly.  With an average of 2.2 million weddings a year in the United States alone, the impact of these events is huge!  As a member of the wedding industry, I wanted to stay knowledgeable in the best ways to reduce that impact.  So when my mom found the information on the Brides Against Cancer event, I was definitely intrigued!



Brides Against Cancer provides brides-to-be with an opportunity to find their dream gown while making wishes and dreams come true for women and men who are battling breast cancer.  The money that they raise from the gown sales is donated to Making Memories who then grant wishes for people battling Stage 4 cancer.   

The cause is something very close to my heart since my fiancee, Mark, has a sister that has fought and won her battle against breast cancer.  We have run in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on her Miracle Michelle team for the past two years and will be running again this year in October! 

Finding a dress that is not only eco-friendly but also raises money and awareness for a great cause was really an amazing opportunity in my eyes.  And to win free tickets to the VIP night just made it all too good to be true!  So last Friday, my mother & I made the trek up to the Embassy Suites in Huntsville to check out the selection.  We were greeted with some information from local wedding vendors, a selection of hors d'oeuvres, and a beautiful and moving slideshow of some of the breast cancer survivors that the organization has worked with over the years.

We really had no idea what to expect, even though the website had said there would be hundreds of dresses.  I was not disappointed!  We looked through several racks, organized by size, of designer gowns, many of which had been donated new or after model shows from the designers themselves - even some Vera Wang!  Although it was only my second week of bridal gown shopping, I had a pretty clear idea of the styles that I liked and found several to try on.  The ladies at the event were all volunteers from the local wedding community and they were so sweet and helpful!  They did a great job of helping me and made the experience really fun.

There certainly was one dress that I stayed in much longer than the others.  It just so happened to fit me like a glove right off the hanger!  I debated it quite a bit, changed into other dresses, then put it back on.  The dress was silky taffeta with rhinestone accents highlighting an empire waistline.  The stones had an antique look to them and I fell in love with the way that they coordinated with my antique engagement ring!  The thought of finding this beautiful dress and getting to take it home - no waiting! - was very exciting.  But to be able to find such a gorgeous dress that reduces my impact on the environment while also supporting such a wonderful cause really made this the dream dress!  I decided that it was definitely 'THE ONE'!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsey! We loved reading your post about your experience at the BABC show and I'm so excited that you found the eco-friendly dress of your dreams. We're doing some special "pink" content initiatives in October and I'm wondering if you'd like to share your story as part of that. Please send me an email so we can discuss! stephanie@greenbrideguide.com.

    Thanks so much!
    Stephanie Nash, Director of Content, Green Bride Guide

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!!! Btw...love the blog layout & your pic!! :)

    ReplyDelete