Pages

2.10.2011

T'town Has a Sweet Tooth

There's a new store in Tuscaloosa and although it only sells one thing - the line has been out the door every day since it opened 3 weeks ago.  What's got the whole town talking?  It's Gigi's Cupcakes - a cupcake boutique that sells different flavors of cupcakes each day of the week.  In this fast-paced world where businesses are trying to anticipate and meet every need of their client, Gigi's has focused on just one thing and it seems to be working.

 I got to experience Gigi's for the first time last year at their Huntsville branch.  I was so excited about my cupcake, called the Miss Princess, with it's pretty pink cake, towering icing, topped with a little pink crown and sparkly sprinkles - that I took a picture of it and shared my excitement with my Facebook friends.  So I'm not surprised that other visitors to the store are just as excited to spread the word.   
I still, however, was not prepared for the scene when I visited the Tuscaloosa store last Saturday.  The store, located in the new Midtown Village, is tucked right in the heart of the shopping center.  The line of cars swirling around the parking lot, and the circles it took for us to find a parking spot should have clued me in.  Here's my pic of what the store looked like from the outside.  Inside, patrons had thoughtfully cued up in an S pattern to fit as many people as possible into the space.  Thankfully, I never had to squeeze inside, because my brother-in-law and niece were our 'men on the inside' making the deal to get our sweet treats for the rest of the family.  My sister and I waited patiently in the cold and chatted it up with the other people debating whether a half hour wait was worth it for what might be the tastiest cupcake they've had to date.

Was it worth it?  Of course it was!  But I definitely have a soft spot for sweets.  Take a look at today's menu and you'll learn why Tuscaloosa just can't resist - 

Read more about the cupcake phenomenon and see an interview with store owner at WVUA's news page - http://wvuatv.com/content/gigis-cupcakes.  Find out more about Gigi's Cupcakes and all of their locations on their website at http://www.gigiscupcakesusa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment